Tuesday, February 16, 2016

In The Cafe with Susanne Matthews

Welcome to the Cafe! With us today is Susanne Matthews.
Susanne already order her favourite drink...a glass of merlot, so let's grab a beverage and join her in those comfy chairs by the fireplace.

Tell us a little about yourself.
I’m a retired school teacher, married forty-four years to the same man. We have three adult children and five grandchildren. I’ve lived in Cornwall most of my life, although I met my husband in Ottawa at Carleton University. We lived there for ten years after we were married before moving back to Cornwall. Once the children were all in school, I returned to university and earned my Bachelor of Education at Queen’s University in Kingston. I taught English for most of my career, although I was qualified to teach French as a second language and Special Education which I also did from time to time. I began writing seriously in the fall of 2012 and had my first novel published in April 2013. Since then, I have published fourteen novels, with two more sold and ready to be released in 2016, three short stories, two novellas and three episodes of a space opera. I have another short story due out in February. In the summer I like to camp—in a very large tent—and travel. Last summer, we took our first cruise to Alaska, and I can admit to being bitten by the cruising bug, and looking forward to sailing again.

Please share an enticing tag line of your current work with us.
This is from the White Iris due to be released February 8, 2016. Time’s running out for Special Agent Trevor Clark and the FBI task force. Can they stop the Prophet and prevent the Great Burning?

If your book were made into a movie, who would you want to play your main characters?
Ryan Gosling and Rachel McAdams. Those two have awesome chemistry.

How do you come up with the titles of your books?
Most of the time, the idea just comes to me and I go with that. Sometimes the story takes an unexpected turn, and the title changes. The one thing you can count on is that sooner or later, the title will appear in the story.

What does your writing space look like?
I have a separate office at the back of the house with a computer workstation where I do most of my writing. Occasionally, I’ll use a laptop or tablet if I’m on the go. I don’t like any noise when I’m writing since I like to work with a screen reader, listening to what I’ve written.

What do you enjoy doing when you’re not writing?
I like to read, play matching games of my phone or tablet to keep my brain sharp. I enjoy camping in the summer. I love to travel. So far, I’ve used just about every place I’ve visited as settings in my books.

What books might we find on your bedside table?
You’ll find a Bible and my Kindle. At the moment I’m beta reading for one of my author friends.

Fast Five
What is your favourite color? green
What is your favourite season? summer
What is your favourite movie? The Notebook. I cry every time I watch it.
What is your favourite song? Love Lifted Me, Kenny Rogers
What is your favourite comfort clothing attire? To write, I like loose comfortable clothing, so lots of time, I’ll stay in my pj’s for the morning and dress at noon. 

Describe yourself in three words.
Short, determined and loving.

http://www.mhsusannematthews.ca/

Time’s running out for Special Agent Trevor Clark and his FBI task force. They’re no closer to uncovering the identity of the Prophet, a dangerous serial killer who has been murdering new mothers and vanishing with their infants. If Trevor can’t unlock the clues, the killer’s threats to unleash what the FBI suspects is biological warfare could mean death for all of them. His only recourse is to swallow his pride and reach out to his former fiancĂ©e, the CDC’s renowned virologist, Dr. Julie Swift. 

wo years ago, Julie ended their engagement after Trevor abandoned her when she needed him most. Now, faced with the possibility of the greatest epidemic since the Spanish flu, she has to put her faith and her safety, as well as that of countless others, into the hands of a man she doesn’t trust. Can they set aside their differences to stop the Prophet, and in doing so, will they find the love they lost? 

From the streets of Boston to the wilds of Alaska, this thrilling conclusion to the Harvester Series takes several turns you won’t see coming!

http://www.amazon.com/White-Iris-Harvester-Susanne-Matthews-ebook/dp/B01AOH6LCE

6 comments:

  1. Thank you for having me visit today.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Book sounds fantastic. Best of luck with the new release.

    I can attest that Susanne is a wonderful person. We met recently, having figured out we live not that far apart and taught in the same city.
    Tweeted.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great post Susanne. Never heard of this Trans Canada blog. Very cool. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Susanne, thank you for all your years of teaching. I bet you were a good one!Wow you are so prolific. The White Iris sounds terrific. And beautiful cover too.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I second your thoughts on Ryan and Rachel, as well as The Notebook. The cover and blurb for The White Iris as both enticing!

    ReplyDelete